Almost every year, September marks not just the start of the merry christmas season but also of the preparation for the Bataan Death March Ultramarathon. Mark the dates:
BATAAN 160K Schedule:
Start: January 28, 2012 @ 0500H (5:00 AM)/Mariveles, Bataan
Finish: January 29, 2012 @ 1200H (12:00 Noon)/Capas National Shrine, Camp O’Donnell, Tarlac
BATAAN 102K Schedule:
Start: March 3, 2012 @ 2100H (9:00 PM)/Mariveles, Bataan
Finish: March 4, 2012 @ 1800H (6:00PM)/San Fernando, Pampanga
The ultrarunners of today are so fortunate. There’s just so many ultras today where they could train.
Unlike before – when we used to settle with running all the marathons.
The most awaited event of the coming year – for us ultramarathoning “adiks” – is BDM. No question about that.
- We train well and proper to make it good
- We adjust our lives to the rigors of the training
- We go on a special diet so as not to render useless our runs
- We test and re-test over and over again our hydration and fuelling plans
- We enter the humbling experience of soliciting friend’s support
- We stick to our plans as much as we can
- We start to worry when things fail to materialize as planned
- We repeat over in our mind and heart that we can
- We also economize in some way to prepare for the biggest expense of our running lives.
Well. Im preparing. And I’d be ready. So friends, classmates, batchmates, office mates, and all mates-have-yous…you know what to expect.
Peek at my training then.
May the Lord our God who lends his strength to us enable us to do better than what we have hoped for.