Funny as it may sound, but it’s a pocket-serious question for an ultrarunner – who used up a lot of shoes in a span of only many months. Allow me to feature my tough shoes…and possibly introduce yours on the side.
As a backgrounder, there’s a great number of runners these days. While only a few is into the hardcore long run aka ULTRARUNNING, in contrast, there is also a great big number of runners who follow these hardcore ones. Ok…that’s a jumbled thought but regardless of the number, ultrarunners require a bit more of their (our) shoes.
That’s just the top 3. Why? Because ultrarunners train a lot. Well maybe not that much – but intensely. Maybe not that intense – but very long. Maybe not that long – but on a rough trail. Maybe not that rough – but never ONLY on a pavement.
I, for one have brick and marble in my playground aside from the usual asphalt and concrete. Wearing a shoe that is a “no-slip” is a must. Like the rest of you guys, I use what I have…and hope to God that my pick will not be a mistake come race day and/or training.
Before I list down my shoes, I think it best if you’d get a peak at how much I run. See here.
If you did take a peek at my runs, you will find that obviously, I require a tough shoe – one that can endure long runs – though not necessarily intense. I also do trail runs – and that is a different matter – shoe wise.
I run with a shoe I am comfortable with. I am not into fashion running…LOL. I use a shoe that I think would see me through the whole course of the run or race. When in doubt, I bring an extra – but not always. I have a forefoot strike and I run well with a stabilty shoes that has a wide toe box. If a shoe is worth taking to a long run – I test them. When I am satisfied, I use them on Ultra races. Yes, that simple.
So what do I have? peek @ the long ones here
- NIKE Pegasus +25 Bowerman Series
- NEWTON Racer
- ADIDAS Adistar Salvation
- NIKE Pegasus +25 Bowerman Series (Finished my 1st BDM 102, T2N 50K, Tanay 50K, Nuvali Trail 57K)
- ADIDAS Adistar Salvation (used twice to finish BDM 160, 1st and 2nd Mayon 360 50-miles)
- ADIDAS Supernova Glide 2 (BDM 160 and F2D 60K)
- ANTA Running Shoes (used once to test if it really can endure a 70K run PAU P2P)
- MIZUNO Wave Prophecy (used once @ T2N 50K as a test run)
- ADIDAS Climacool (BDM 160 and PAU Tanay 50K)
- I get blisters when it rains. Regardless of the shoe, except for ONE – the NEWTON Racer.
- I have lots of shoes – which is the very reason why they also have extended lives. Imagine if you run as much as I do with only one (1) shoe.
- NIKE Pegasus retired after I finished the Nuvali trail. The soles gave out. 🙂
- During the 1st BDM 160K I used in a span of about 20K my ADIDAS F50 Racer, but finished in my Adistar Salvation.
- I finished the 2nd BDM 160K in my ADIDAS Climacool starting from KM 102. Hence, I used it again in Tanay 50K.
- I test my shoes up to the farthest possible distance. If you see me wear a new one – they are all for testing. 🙂 Thanks to the many sponsors.
- I am not a fast runner. I will always just finish within the cut-off – generally speaking.
Details from my DailyMile account.